DJ Tip – A Remix Method
A DJ Tip On DJ Production
This is only a briefing and is not a blueprint.
So how do we go about making our own tracks?
The two easiest forms of music making and getting recognized is by DJ mash-ups and DJ bootlegs.
- A bootleg is a track of two different complementary tracks, for an example : DJ Gauffe with Britney Spears ‘Oops I Did It Again’ and Eminems ‘The Real Slim Shady’.
- A mash-up is a track updated with original elements added to the song, for an example : Mylo vs The Miami Sound Machine ‘Dr Pressure’.
Most DJs do it, there are even albums dedicated to bootlegged music.
The art of DJing is to do with the artist and not the gear or software.
The software and gear are just tools for creating your thoughts.
Judging when and what goes with what is part of the art.
It is also very hard to distinguish a DJ performance from a DJ improvisation to a DJ composition.
So why mash ups or bootlegs?
- There is a great following for both, lots of people love music mixes and different styles added to tracks. For an instance there are many versions of Depeche Mode ‘ Enjoy The Silence’ like Linkin Park’s version is a great one.
- A lot of work has already been done for you so you don’t have to spend so much time creating tracks from scratch.
- You already have a ready made audience.
- You can get quite popular from making these remixes BUT also getting into trouble with the authorities over the sample copyright clearances, so always be sure about the copyrights.
To be Continued.
Experimenting is key!